Adult Photography Contest
(18 plus years)
Chair: Jana Pastors - 615-818-4646
Prizes:1st - $10• 2nd - $7• 3rd - $5• Best of Show – Rosette
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Competition open only to Wilson County residents; 18 years and older.
- Register online or all entries must be entered between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 11, at the Wilson County Expo Center. All entries must be presented in person on Saturday, August 11.
- Professional Photographers can enter ONLY in the OPEN Professional Photography Category LOT 26. All OTHER CATEGORIES are for Amateur Photographers only.
- All photos must be at least 8" X 8" and no larger than 8" X 12" and firmly (No White Border or a Border of any kind wrapping your image/Full Frame Print Only) attached to 11" X 14" mats or mounted on 11" X 14" mat board. MATS, SMALLER OR LARGER THAN 11" X 14", WILL BE REFUSED. No oval mats or framed pictures.Mats are to be no larger than .5 inch thick. This is to assure that all mats will place properly in the rack slots. Judging is a reflection of Mat. Construction paper and poster board are not acceptable forms of mats.
- Entries are limited to 10 prints per person, and only 1 print will be accepted in each lot.
- All photos must be the original work of the exhibitor. Management reserves the right to place photos in the proper category.
- Judging will be based on technical quality, creativity, artistic, composition, originality, presenting of mat and relevance to the category.
- Name, address and phone number of exhibitor should be printed on the back of each entry.
- Premiums will be paid and exhibits claimed on Sunday, August 26 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. No photos may be removed before the date and time specified. Early removal will forfeit the right of entrant to enter any photos the following year. Any exhibits not claimed by September 15 will be considered abandoned and will become the property of the Wilson County Fair.
- The photographs remain the property of the owner, however, the Fair Board and its management cannot be held responsible for any loss or damages incurred during exhibition.
- Photos must have been made within the twelve months previous to the entry deadline. Any photograph that has previously been entered at this Fair is ineligible to compete.
- Prize money will be paid to the number of places indicated for each lot according to the opinion of the judges. Judges reserve the right to award 4th and 5th place ribbons, with no prize money, if quality merits.
- The management of the Fair reserves the right to refuse any photograph deemed unsuitable for competition, and all photographs will be placed & displayed at the discretion of the management of the Fair. Entries that do not meet requirements may be disqualified for awards.
2018 FAIR THEME - "mAGic memories! - Year of “Milk"
SP1 - Color or B&W image of milk
SP2 – OPEN Professional Category – A Professional Photographer can enter one photo into this category. This is an OPEN category, so any LOT Description can apply. NOTE: B&W and COLOR acceptable in this category (one photo only). Professional category does not qualify for Best of Show.
DIVISION I – COLOR
Lot 1 - Portrait Child (Portrait-posed)
Lot 2 - Portrait Adult Male/Female (Portrait-posed)
Lot 3 - Portrait Multiple 2+ (Portrait-posed)
Lot 4 - Candid - 1+ (Un-posed - photos that capture people being themselves without being aware that they are being photographed)
Lot 5 - Landscape – Natural landscapes (over 50% is land). A section or portion of scenery as seen
from a single viewpoint. Scenery is the subject of a landscape image.
Lot 6 - Waterscape – Natural landscape shots (over 50% of water) with bodies of water. A picture or view of the sea or other
body of water.
Lot 7 - Cityscape (Capture the flavor of a city; photo must be recognizable as being in the city.
Example: skyline, rush-hour traffic, sidewalk crowd, etc.)
Lot 8 - Skyscape (sunsets, clouds, etc.)
Lot 9 - Weather (snow scene, lightning, fog, rain cloud etc.)
Lot 10 – USA/American Themed – Any photo with a USA Flag or American Theme representations that is the focus/purpose of the photo. Can include any category Lots except Lots: Portrait/Candid with people in the photo.
Lot 11 - Plants/Flowers (Wild or Cultivated)
Lot 12 - Animals/Wildlife/Sea Life/etc.
Lot 13 - Animals/Farm or Pet (tamed / domestic)
Lot 14 - Insects and other small creatures ex. snail, slugs etc.
Lot 15 - Birdlife
Lot 16 - Sports/Action/Motion/Blur
Lot 17 - Architecture (building or close-up of part of building, bridges, other structures)
Lot 18 - Landmark/Monument - (Historic building or close-up of part of building, bridges, other
Lot 19 - Country (Capture the flavor of a country setting. Examples: country store, farm, field of hay
bales, barn, etc. May include people.)
Lot 20 - Still Life (Staged shots of inanimate/objects that you have staged) *Not people or animals*
Example: fruit in a bowl, cut flowers in a vase, or an arranged grouping of items of interest.)
Lot 21 - Transportation (Past or present)
Lot 22 - Computer Manipulation/Special Effects - (Any photo that has been altered to the point of
Computer/Software Manipulation. Photos that have been altered to include examples of the
following: Adding/Removing images in the original photo, heavy HDR Effects, transform
images to display 'non-natural' setting, or turn an image into 'FINE ART', etc.)
*NOTE: Small alterations such as 'soft color enhancement, soft sharpening done post-digital
editing does not credit towards this category."
Lot 23 - Photojournalism (the collecting, editing, and presenting of news material for publication or
broadcast) that employs images in order to tell a news story.
Lot 24 - Elements of Design in Color: Photos that showcase line, shape, pattern, form, and texture; can
consist of any subject matter. The idea is to zoom in onto the Element of Design and fill the
frame with it. Example: Close-up.
Lot 25 - Open (Any photo that does not fit one of the above categories. This category cannot be used as a
'filler' or purpose to enter more entries.)
DIVISION II - BLACK & WHITE
Film or Digital Images in B&W/Sepia
Please reference category descriptions from Division I Color above for more details.
Lot 1 - People (1+ individual / Candid or Portrait)
Lot 2 - Landscape, waterscape or skyscape
Lot 3 - Animal (Wildlife, insects, pets, birdlife)
Lot 4 - Plants/Flowers
Lot 5 - Architecture
Lot 6 - Still Life
Lot 7 - Photojournalism
Lot 8 - Computer Manipulation/Special Effects - *Includes a "Pop of Color”
Lot 9 - Elements of Design in B&W: Reference color description.
Lot 10 - Transportion
Lot 11 - Open (Any photo that does not fit one of the above categories. This category cannot be used as a
‘filler' or purpose to enter more entries.)