Adult Hay & Field Crops
August 19, 2016 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
2016 Wilson County Fair
Adult Hay & Field Crops
(Open Only to Wilson County Farmers, age 18 years of age and over.)
(Youth entries will be entered in the Youth Hay and Field Crops division.)
Show Chairman: Tom Bobo, Stacey Word, Aaron Jenkins
County Ext. Director & Ag Agent: Ruth Correll, 615-444-9584
Sponsors: Lebanon Distributing, Wilson Farmers Co-op, Edwards Feed
Field Crop Entries (corn and soybeans) - will be accepted Thursday, August 18 from 3:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. at the Rowland Barn in Fiddlers Grove.
General Rules for all Hay and Field Crops entries:
1. All exhibits must be grown on a WILSON COUNTY farm by a Wilson County resident.
2. Only one entry per person per lot.
3. Premiums will be paid and exhibits removed on Sunday, August 28 between 1:00-3:00 p.m. (Entries not removed by 3:00 p.m. will be disposed of at discretion of the show chairmen.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Class 1 - Hay (only one entry per person per lot - may be from either a square or round bale)
Premiums: 1st - $30.00 • 2nd - $25.00 • 3rd - $15.00 • 4th - $10.00
- Please schedule a date with the UT Extension Agricultural Agent by July 19 to collect your hay sample. The samples will be processed by UT Soil, Plant and Pest Lab. A block of hay from either a square or round bale will also be collected for judging the physical aspects of the hay. This block of hay will be displayed during the fair. Judging will be based 30% on physical aspects and 70% on the lab analysis. Physical aspects will include leafiness, maturity, odor, color, cleanness and texture. Lab results for crude protein, TDN and RFQ will be considered in the nutritional analysis.
- Entries must be composed of forage which has been cut, cured, baled and stored in barn or covered.
Lot 1. Legumes other than clover - Alfalfa/Lespedeza
Lot 2. Cool season perennials (tall fescue, orchard grass, etc.)
Lot 3. Warm season perennials (bermuda grass, etc.)
Lot 4. Cool season annuals (wheat, oats, etc.)
Lot 5. Warm season annuals (sorghum sudan, teff, crabgrass)
Lot 6. Mixed grass/legume combination
Lot 1 & 2 Premiums: 1st - $30.00 • 2nd - $25.00 • 3rd - $20.00
Lot 3 & 4 Premiums: 1st - $20.00 • 2nd - $15.00 • 3rd - $10.00
Lot 3. Tallest Stalk of Corn (Length)
Class 3 - Soybeans
Premiums: 1st - $30.00 • 2nd - $25.00 • 3rd - $20.00
Lot 1. Soybeans, a bundle of 10 fresh stems tied in a group.